Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Blogiversary

Tomorrow marks One Year since “our” first post. You might be wondering why I use the plural here, but check back to our first post – August 31, 2010 Ally, the Pal of Ping and Pal, and I decided we should try out this blog thing together but we never really took off with it. I am so thankful that I have stuck with this blog alone though.

This blog has meant a lot to me, and looking back over the titles and posts of this past year is a little overwhelming. In this time I have been through a lot of wonderful – and a few difficult – times, and it’s been so amazing to have a place to share some of these emotions and events with you. I am constantly amazed by the people I have met through this blog world. I’m thankful for the little bits of encouragement people leave as comments – people I might not have ever even met or rarely get to see. I have felt a connection with you all by reading your blogs or knowing that you read mine.
Thanks for sticking with me throughout this year – a year filled up with a lot of newness: a new job, a new house, a new marriage, new friendships, new experiences, and of course, new books.
I read through our first post, explaining why we wanted to start this blog in the first place. At that time I was finishing a difficult book, Paul Elie’s The Life You Save May Be Your Own, that let me look at some of the reasons we write and what writing does to us and the people we share the writing with.
In my first post I included this quote from that book: "A pilgrimage is a journey undertaken in the light of a story...the pilgrim seeks not only to confirm the experience of others firsthand but to be changed by the experience. Pilgrims often make the journey in company, but each must be changed individually; they must see for themselves, each with his or her own eyes. And as they return to ordinary life the pilgrims must tell others what they saw, recasting the story in their own terms."
I remember thinking that a blog might be a great place to share my thoughts on the books I was reading and how they related to my life and what I experienced through them. I have had a wonderful year sharing these books and experiences with whoever is out there reading these posts. Thanks for sticking with me while I recast the stories in my own terms. Here's to another wonderful year of new experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment