Thursday, October 25, 2012

Rant About Nothing

I have not felt the desire to complain about this pregnancy thing at all. I truly do see each day as a blessing. I love my daughter so much already. I mean that. So now, just bear with me as I complain for a couple of paragraphs about what I just learned!

Okay so I don’t drink wine (even though I’m dying for some), I don’t hang out in smoky bars, I don’t even eat lunchmeat (warmed up or otherwise) even though I'm craving it more than I ever have. I have even avoided my favorite white cheese at the local Mexican restaurant I so dearly love. I sleep on my left side even though it’s torture. I walk at least two miles every day. I do my “kick counts” religiously. I don’t even come close to taking any medicine, even if it’s on the “approved” list. I drink zero caffeine even though I know I can have some and used to drink 5 cups a day. I eat meat even though I used to not because I was worried I wasn’t getting enough protein or iron. And I try to limit my stress and sweets (both easier said than done).

I feel like I’ve done as much as possible for the last 7 months to be a good pregnant momma. So imagine me sitting at work, reading my quick pregnancy update for the day, being pretty proud of myself for staying calmn in a stressful work situation....and my jaw dropping to my desk when I receive an update that claims a woman who eats peanuts or peanut butter more than once or twice a week is increasing her baby’s odds of having a peanut allergy. What the?! If you don’t know this about me, I have eaten a peanut butter sandwich every day of my life since I was 18. I am not exaggerating. That’s my lunch of choice. I eat peanut butter or almond butter (no jelly or jam) every day with a slice of cheese, some chips or crackers, and an apple. It’s been this way for 8 years. I actually thought this was a good thing. How on earth can a girl keep track of all the things she should or shouldn’t eat during pregnancy. I thought I was going overboard by not even touching lunch meat, which some people say you can heat up and have every day if you want.

So most people take all of this advice with a grain of salt. I am not most people. I am completely irrational and obsessive about this pregnancy. You read that I am not drinking coffee, right? So it looks like you might want to invite me to lunch in the next six weeks. Six weeks of no peanut butter…that’s almost more grueling  than six more weeks of no fully loaded pumpkin spiced lattes. Wish me luck.

(Bo has been adorably clingy to me these days. He won't let me get up and go in the other room without following me. I think he can sense something going on and he's really protecting me. He is the sweetest and I can't wait to see how much he loves his little sister.)


No comments:

Post a Comment