Thursday, June 30, 2011

"O Canada"

I know we are all getting geared up for the 4th of July, but before that, on the 1st, my adorable husband and I will be celebrating Canada Day with our dear friends from Canada! I am so excited. Last year my mother-in-law and I made a fruit pizza in the design of the Canada flag. Essentially, it was a big sugar cookie covered with a yummy icing and lots of strawberries to make the maple leaf. This year, I am trying a new sugar cookie recipe covered in a fondant. Wait, don't ignore this yet, this is a different fondant that is actually yummy! The party is tomorrow night so tonight I started the icing since it's best refrigerated overnight (and also keeps in the refrigerator for several weeks!). P.S. to my mommy friends out there, my way cool friend that gave me this recipe said that she makes this for her kiddos to use as play dough and then munch on! How fun is that?

Here is what I learned, in pictures.
Tip number one: make sure the surface you are working on isn't just your plain counter. I used my glass cutting board. Your surface is going to get sticky, messy, and be a pain to clean. It's easiest if you can pick up the surface and wash it...

Notice the Crisco in the corner, you are going to need it!

This recipe will ask you to heat up a ton of marshmallows for thirty seconds at a time and stir. This is what mine looked like by the first minute:


Tip number two: Seriously, seriously grease your working surface. Seriously.


Tip number two: Red food coloring makes things mostly pink. What? The Canada flag doesn't have a pink maple leaf on it? I choose not to acknowledge that.


Tip number three: Remove all your rings. You are going to get really messy. Really. You might as well get over it before you get started. Icky.


This little ball of pizza dough like, play dough stretchy but not stringy, warm goodness took about 8 minutes of kneading:


Tip number four: leave time for clean up.


If you are interested in this recipe, let me know and I will send it to you! I also promise to update you with the finished product tomorrow. Like I said, this is a great fondant to cover sugar cookies since both this mix and the cookie dough are best refrigerated over night first. Here's a preview of what's to come though:

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment