Monday, December 31, 2012

Baby Bell's Birth Story

I feel like I will never forget the day we met Annabelle Kayle Richmond, but I know the details might fade over time. I want to record them here just in case.

On Tuesday, December 4th, I went to my doctor's appointment, hoping I was progressed enough to head to the hospital. I was so uncomfortable and anxious to meet our little girl. The doctor said she would induce me at any time, and I thought I would have taken her up on this, but I knew deep down I wanted to go into labor on my own. And she guessed that I would, and soon. In fact, she told us that if it happened that night to tell the doctors to page her because she wanted to deliver our little one. She wasn't right that it was that night, but it was about 30 hours later!

On December 5th I started having more painful contractions. However, they were spaced far apart and were not consistent. I had a feeling it might be soon, but I didn't know just how soon it would be. December 6th is my nephew's Birthday, my boss's Birthday, and Sister #2 was in Texas...I should have known this would be the day.

I woke up throughout the night with contractions, but just went to the bathroom and went back to bed. At 4:45 a.m. I woke up with one, went to the bathroom, and my water broke on the toilet! For some reason I wasn't completely sure that was what happened, so I tried to go back to bed....that lasted about two minutes. I woke up my husband and decided to jump in the shower. We tried to take our time getting ready, but we were so excited! We got to the hospital by 6 a.m.

The first 2 1/2 hours were very painful. I had decided I wanted to try to not have an epidural. My doctor had told me to get to the hospital as soon as my water broke because she knew my labor would be quick. By the time I got there my contractions were already 2 and 3 minutes apart. I didn't have much time to rest between them. I was in so much pain. I quickly changed my mind about the epidural. :) After I received this help the day was much more enjoyable. Every hour I had progressed another centimeter.

The labor and delivery went smoothly without any help with pitocin. About 30 minutes before it was time to push, my doctor, who had the day off, showed up and scolded us for not having them call her in. We just felt too bad on her day off. She was so happy she made it in time and was there for the entire delivery. When it was time to push, my epidural had run out and instead of changing to a new one, they encouraged me to try pushing and delivery without it. My nurse said I had about a half hour until the effects wore off. If that isn't enough motivation to push, then I don't know what is.

Sweet Annabelle Kayle was born a loud, happy, chubby, and hairy baby at 3:46 p.m. I couldn't believe how I felt about her. Everyone says you are so in love the minute you see them, but it's an understatement. They gave her to me the second she was born and I couldn't stand for them to take her away. They had to suction out her lungs and do a couple of tests and I just couldn't stop staring at her over with the doctor and David. David was too overjoyed to go out and tell our families...he finally ran out of the room to anxious family member and shouted "7, 13!" This is what she weighed. It's all he could get out. He is such a proud dadda.

Annabelle was born with a fever. She had to have tests done. Later that night her bloodwork showed an elevated white blood count. The scariest three hours of our life happened once they came to tell us about this test and take our newborn away for more tests. You can imagine we were a wreck. Finally our doctor came in to tell us she was confident everything was fine (which it was as we would find out later that day) and to give us some peace. They brought our baby back to us with an IV and her arm braced so she could have fluids and antibiotics. It was a long day, trying to learn how to nurse and trying not to worry. Whatever her little body was fighting was beat by that afternoon. She is a healthy and strong baby!

We had a wonderful stay in the hospital, a perfect labor and delivery story, and have loved our little girl every minute of her life. We came home to a house full of food and balloons and signs on Saturday December 8th. I never knew how this would feel and no one can prepare you for it. Welcome to our family Annabelle Kayle Richmond.

On our way to the hospital!

Our first meeting

She has just wanted to be held and cuddled since the beginning

With our beautiful doctor

No comments:

Post a Comment