Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pace Yourself

I work with a woman who has back and nerve problems. I am not sure exactly what her medical issues are, but she is in pain at times and has trouble walking. She walks very slowly and sometimes has to hold on to a wall a little. She has a beautiful, young daughter. We love talking about our daughters together. I have met her daughter a couple of times. She’s maybe ten and she is so sweet.


Today I was way behind them walking down the hallway. We have a very long row of cubes lined up to get out to the main office. It’s a long stretch of hallway, but it only takes me a few seconds to get from one end to the other, maybe 20 seconds.


I walked in the door to start the long stretch back to my desk when I noticed my friend and her daughter about halfway down the hallway. My friend’s daughter was looking up at her mom, talking and smiling, and her mom was talking back to her and even put her hand on her head at one point. They were so cute, just enjoying their walk together. I noticed how her daughter didn’t speed ahead of her, but walked at the exact same, slow pace.


I am constantly reminded to slow down. I read a post a while ago, floating around Facebook, about not using the words “hurry up” to our children (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rachel-macy-stafford/the-day-i-stopped-saying-hurry-up_b_3624798.html  ) . I read a different one today about bedtime taking forever sometimes, and how it should (http://www.karipatterson.com/2013/08/09/because-sometimes-bedtime-takes-forever-and-should/).


I love (and need) these little reminders almost daily that I really shouldn’t be in such a hurry. Maybe you needed a reminder today, too, to slow down.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment