Friday, September 9, 2011

I was 15

“Oh beautiful, for heroes proved,
In liberating strife,
Who more than self, our country loved,
And mercy more than life.

America, America, may God thy gold refine,
Till all success be nobleness,
And every gain defined.”
There are some things that I simply can’t write about or talk about. September 11th is one of those two or three topics. So I am not going to try now necessarily. All I can ever really do once I start thinking about not only this one day, but what it did to all of us over the next ten years (wow, 10 years) following it, is pray. I can now get through an entire prayer. My prayers on these few topics are similar actually. In these prayers I apologize and ask for forgiveness, ask for peace and healing to those who are hurting because of it, and end with all of the thanksgiving I can think of – I thank God for whatever good I can think has come from the tragedy and ask Him to show me what I’m missing.
So ten years later, I still can’t really make sense of it, but I can thank God for our strong soldiers and nation, pray for those who are still hurting and always will be, and remember all of the brave people who were lost.
 

1 comment: