Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Lent




I know a girl who is working so hard to provide for her little family. She’s a single mom with two adorable kids. She works hard to give them the safest and best care possible. She keeps coming up just a little short. I’ve had many conversations with her and have had a tiny view into her life and tried to help in ways that I can. It has really hit home with me. The circumstances she is overcoming or worrying about are ones I wouldn’t have thought anyone in my town truly deals with and ones I wouldn’t have to ever really think about. Anyway, this post isn’t to tell her story though. I never feel that it’s my place to share other’s stories.

 

This is just a little background about what God has been telling me in the past few months. This friend, together with a sermon a couple of weeks ago, has really inspired me to ask God what he wants me to do with the money he has lent to me. It’s sad, but I have to admit that I’ve not committed to asking God for help with my finances. This sounds so stupid to me to actually say. But it’s true. I thank him for my career and money that provides, and I thank him for things like my house and other material blessings. And I definitely thank him for my hard working husband who provides for us and handles all the money because goodness knows I wouldn’t have a clue. But I haven’t truly asked God to show or tell me what to do with money – I haven’t asked him how much we should give to missions this year, or how much we can spend on gifts, etc.

 

I’ve talked before about little challenges I’ve tried (and failed or quit) like No Spend November and the likes. Today there are some posts on Instagram for a mini-challenge for Lent to not shop. I think this is a great idea! I am going to give it a full try. I will try to not spend any money on things for myself or things that I don’t need. I know that’s a loose definition. What I mean is that I’m going to buy groceries, gas, medicine and vitamins, and things like that. But I’m not going to buy shoes, clothes, jewelry, candy, Starbucks, etc. And I’m going to take it one step further and try to keep track of these things I pass up and do something with that money.

 

Wish me luck! And if you are interested in this little challenge, look up the1yearwardroberesolution on Instagram. She has great tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment