Friday, June 7, 2013

Try, Try, Try Again




I have to admit that I haven’t always taken the best care of myself. I haven’t ever worried too much about the things I eat, the shampoos I use, or the household cleaners I spray on every possible surface. As a person that thinks too much about everything, it’s weird to say that I never thought too much about it.

That is, until I got pregnant and had Annabelle. Now I can’t stop reading labels, researching products, and cringing every time I hear about another product I’ve been using that has carcinogenic chemicals in it (cough, Johnson & Johnson, cough). I drive myself crazy thinking about what she is breathing in, what her little skin is absorbing, and what her tummy is trying to digest. I have to stop myself from spiraling. And I have David help me make good decisions without completly obsessing.

I still don’t do the best job. I use cheap shampoo, I have an obsession with Lavender Lysol, and Taco Bell is my weakness. However, I am constantly encouraged by my friends who are trying to make little and big changes. I find it motivating to hear their ideas and what they’ve learned. That’s what I love most about this blog world. I thrive off of all you guys out there trying to make the best decisions for your families.  Thank you for sharing. I fully intend to beg, borrow, and steal all of your ideas – especially for things I haven’t tested and tried myself but want to.

For example, one cute mama out there that I trust for some tips is my friend over at http://scarlettmoonblog.blogspot.com/. Ashley tries to live an organic lifestyle as much as possible (plus her little baby S is to die for!). I had been wanting to try The Honest Company products for a few months but hadn’t pulled the trigger. She raved about this line in one of her posts and I submitted my first order this morning. I can’t wait to test their cleaning and body products. I will let you know what I think! Thanks Ashley!

And since I called out Johnson & Johnson, I want to put a quick disclaimer that I trust that they are trying to right what they’ve wronged. They claim by the end of this year the nasty stuff in their baby line should be removed. I’m rooting for you and your night-time lavender lotion that I love so much J&J. Thank you for trying. As soon as you can assure me that these chemicals are gone, I will be back. (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57493890-10391704/johnson-johnson-to-phase-out-potentially-harmful-chemicals-by-2015/).

What tips do you have to help me make better decisions? Baby steps people, baby steps.
Here's what I grabbed from Target today. I am obsessed with the Basil scent from Mrs. Meyer's for the kitchen. It's so fresh.


No comments:

Post a Comment